CodeIgniter 4 is the upcoming version of the Framework. A pre-release of the framework has been released recently. But it's not yet ready to be used in production.
These are some notable changes in CI 4.
- CI 4 supports these databases:
- MySQL (5.1+) via the MySQLi driver
- PostgreSQL via the Postgre driver
- SQLite3 via the SQLite3 driver
- Minimum required version of PHP has changed to 7.2
- CI 4 now has a folder named public that serves as the webroot. This offers improved security.
- The location of configuration files has been changed.